Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Messianic Stigma During the Christmas Season

Just a brief thought from today...

I feel sorry for my daughter.  She's been in several classes where the teachers ask something to the effect of "How many of you have your Christmas trees up?"  To me, this sounds like a terrible question to ask a large group of mixed-background students.  They ask if she celebrates Hannukah.  She says yes.  But I'm sure that people will find it odd that a non-Jewish girl is celebrating Hannukah.  I saw the other day that she had one of those pictures for coloring and the theme of the picture was Hannukah.  So I guess they gave that to her instead of the Christmas tree.

For those of you who don't have children, allow me to explain the perspective of a Messianic non-Jewish parent.  You have all the normal worries (which are quite enough) and then you have to worry about the Messianic stigma.

I dealt with the stigma when I was in college.  Which wasn't so bad.  But I think it must be very difficult for a little one.  Her social identity is in the very early stages of development.  What will this do to her?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment