Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Just Found a Book That Looks AMAZING [UPDATE]





I was exploring a different library and randomly came across a book in the new books section entitled:  "Judaism and the Gentiles:  Jewish Patterns of Universalism (to 135 CE)."  Then I read the inside cover and got really excited.  It read:

"This timely and fascinating book challenges the stereotypical and unfavorable portrayal of Judaism as a particularistic religion and therefore inferior to Christianity, which is seen as a universal religion.  Through his detailed presentation and meticulous analysis of the primary sources for early Judaism from the biblical period to the Bar Cochba rebellion in 135 CE, Donaldson shows that Judaism was just as inclusive and open to other nations as was Christianity..."

So, obviously, this book has implications for One Law.  I hope it's a good book.  The table of contents indicate that he covers Scripture, Septuagint, Apocrypha, Pseudepigrapha, Qumran, Philo, Josephus, Greco-Roman Literature, Early Christian Literature, and Inscriptions.  And then in part II he shows patterns of universalism in Judaism in terms of sympathization, conversion, participation in eschatological salvation, etc.

On a side note, if anyone has a copy of Rudolph's Introduction to Messianic Judaism that I could borrow, send me a message.  I'll probably need to review that on this site.  I would also encourage the men at Torah Resource Institute to review it as well.

I'm going to do a review of McKee's The New Testament Validates Torah pretty soon as well.  EVERYONE SHOULD PURCHASE THAT BOOK.  It's such a great resource.

Cheers,

Peter

UPDATE:  Well, it's an interesting book.  There's not that much new as far as One Law evidence is concerned.  Also, the author unfortunately didn't have the time to review the Rabbinic writings.  Ah, well.  I'm gonna read the Mishna for the rest of the day.

2 comments:

  1. I just added a book review section to the Messianic Publications page:

    http://messianicpublications.com/category/aritcles-by-topic/book-reviews/

    I've got a copy of McKee's book "NT Validates Torah" and it is excellent. I'd love to get a review up on the MP page. If you end up writing one and would like to share it, I'd love to read it: rjroy613@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm definitely interested. And I love your site by the way.

      Delete