Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Spending the Shabbos at Hasidic Rabbi's House

So this past Shabbat was interesting.  After talking to Judah and Zion, I decided to visit a local hasidic shul.  Before I went, Zion said "Just remember you're a guest."

Flash forward to the drash:  the rabbi says "This week's parsha is about welcoming guests...the story of Abraham and the three guests..."

It was a funny coincidence.  : )

We had a good time, davening, singing.  Then we went to a house and had the meal.  Discussion was good.  The question for discussion before the food was served was this:

"So why do we pray...the G-d of Abraham, the G-d of Isaac, the G-d of Jacob?  Why not just say 'G-d of Abraham?  Why say it three times?  What are your thoughts?"

And so it was a good question and we all talked and ate and drank.  It was a lovely time.

And today we went to a Baptist Church again.  :  )

What a schedule.  But both are my people so why not?

Oh, I almost forgot.  There was a natural segue at one point and so I asked the rabbi "When did Israel transform from Am Yisrael to the nation of Israel?"

He explained that it was through Passover.  That Passover was the first of the months, the Spring, everything about birth, even the kabbalistic texts describe the blood on the doorposts and the emergence of the people as similar to a birth, etc.  So there was no question in his mind that Passover established Israel as a nation.

Shalom,

Peter

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good time and that you were able to learn, grow and develop relationships. I used to attend a synagogue in Chattanooga that was just down the road from Temple University where I was studying.

    Odd thing was, I was nearly kicked out of school over it, even though:
    1) I was not agreeing with the theology.
    2) I was trying to learn the Old Covenant by debating the rabbis in shul.
    3) I was not missing any church meetings or classes.
    4) The Apostle Paul apparently thought it was a good evangelistic method!

    So my advice would be, learn what you can and enjoy the differences in culture but be ready to take flak from either side when they find out you are attending the other.

    Brach'ot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good advice.

      I should say that when I'm attending religious functions, I'm not the online version of myself. The only people I like to debate are the Bilateralists within the Messianic movement. I have too much in common with the Hasidim and the Baptists to get into arguments with them now. I completely identify with both. Are there areas of disagreement? You bet. But the Christians I see as weaker brothers, the Hasidim I see as beleaguered brothers. The bilateralists I see as bully brothers. So I get along well with the weaker brothers and the beleaguered brothers. Does that make sense? I make no attempts to get along with the bully brothers.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, for we are told:
    Titus 3:9-11 HCSB ...avoid foolish debates, genealogies, quarrels, and disputes about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. 10 Reject a divisive person after a first and second warning, 11 knowing that such a person is perverted and sins, being self-condemned.

    ReplyDelete